Maple Lake, MN – Lake Improvement District (LID)
Maple Lake LID moves forward
The LID committee has submitted our petition to Wright County for the formation of our LID – Lake Improvement District for Maple Lake.
The MN DNR is also in the process of reviewing and advising on what their thoughts are.
The process is still long, but all indications are we are moving in the right direction.
So many people that have worked so hard and the efforts they have made in this drive have been very much appreciated. Thank you!
The feedback we got from property owners as we went through this process really shows how much so many care for the overall quality of Maple Lake.
Please continue to solicit your neighbor’s support with the petitions, as they are a confirmation of our objective and they are reviewed as part of this process.
Thank You – LID committee
Maple Lake LID Town Hall Meeting Notes:
On 6-24-17 a Town Hall meeting was held to discuss the pro’s & con’s of our lake setting up a LID. (Lake Improvement District)
A good showing of about 100 members was present, along with special guests to answer specific questions:
– Darek Vetsch – Wright County Commissioner District 2
– Brian Asleson – Chief Deputy Attorney -Wright County Government Center
– Kathleen Metzler DNR Contact Land Use Hydrologist / St Paul Office
– Sheldon Brown – Attorney – ML-LPOA
A review of the quality of our lake along with a presentation of “Why a LID is important?” to maintain Maple Lake quality was presented.
After the presentation, an hour of dialogue and Q&A’s took place.
How is the tax assessment based?
- Assessments are based on planned, budgeted projects for the year determined by the ML-LID Board.
- If we use the last 2 years as an example cost would have been under $8.50/month cost.
- Projects need to be submitted, followed by a Budget submitted on yearly basis
Who chooses what projects are involved with the LID?
- MN DNR encouraged us to keep it broad.
- PLM Lake & Land Management & Wright Soil and Water Conservation help the Maple Lake LID board decide on what projects our Lake is in need of.
- The Association still has control on what projects to implement. Those will be voted on at an Annual Spring Maple Lake LID Board Meeting.
Who is on the Maple Lake LID board?
- Approximately five members – all local year-round residents of Maple Lake.
What guarantee is there on how the dollars are assessed?
- There are strict rules set by the state of MN (DNR) on how project costs are selected.
- All costs are controlled through ML-LPOA.
What projects will be ran through the Lake Improvement District for Maple Lake?
- Aquatic Invasive Species Treatment & Control
- Water Quality Projects
- Inlet-Outlet structures
- Boat Inspections
- Shoreline restoration
- Water Level Augmentation
Projects NOT funded by the Maple Lake Lake Improvement District:
- Walleye stocking
- Fishing contest
What will it cost?
- 2015 Total Expense $29,200.00 / 290 members = $101.00 Proposed Annual LID tax amount
- 2016 Total Expense $27,600.00 / 290 members =$95.00 Proposed Annual LID tax amount
$25,000.00 Aquatic Invasive Species Spray control plus $10,000.00 Aquatic Invasive Species Harvest control $35,000.00 = $121.00 Proposed LID tax amount
Recap of Costs
This is a Project Based Assessment / Tax.
- Costs may fluctuate yearly with input from our lake committees
- Maple Lake LID accounts are held completely independent of the ML-LPOA accounts
How did we get here?
At the Association’s annual meeting May 6th, 2017 the ML-LPOA President reported to the membership that our Board is seeking a motion to explore our ability to re-establish the natural condition of the lake.
A motion was passed to review what steps are need to establish a Lake Improvement District (LID) around Maple Lake’s body of water.
The proposal includes all properties shown in green will be included in the district. These are any properties that are within 100 feet of the lake shore.
During this process the DNR will also review any additional suggestions.
We need YOUR help implementing the Lake Improvement District for Maple Lake. We need Maple Lake Property Owners signatures on the Petition.
Print out the Petition for Creation of the Maple Lake – Lake Improvement District and sign it. (Get your lake neighbors to sign it, too!) Return all signed petitions to any ML-LPOA Board Member.
Click HERE to print the petition.
Let any of the folks listed below know and we’ll be glad to stop by and pick it up. Don’t worry about the Tax Parcel ID number(s) we can fill that in for you.
Or you can mail it back to us at:
PO Box 460
Maple Lake Mn 55358